Cookies help us deliver our services. By using our services, you agree to our use of cookies.OK

2013-12-04 Minutes

Revision as of 14:19, 8 January 2014 by Gmjhowe (talk | contribs) (Created page with "AndrewA: Present: Matthew Gates, Andrew Martin, Michael Erskrine, Russell, Matt Little, James Hayward, Daniel S, Matt Lloyd, Tom P, David C, Jake H, Joe, David H, Gareth, Chri...")
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

AndrewA: Present: Matthew Gates, Andrew Martin, Michael Erskrine, Russell, Matt Little, James Hayward, Daniel S, Matt Lloyd, Tom P, David C, Jake H, Joe, David H, Gareth, Chris[20:06:58] AndrewA: Announcements: Bad Movie Night One Year Super Spectacular which is again showing Troll 2[20:07:08] AndrewA: Announcements: Workshops! see calendar for various workshops[20:07:33] ShantyMan (5c1b07ad@gateway/web/freenode/ip.92.27.7.173) joined the channel.[20:08:56] LWK: Quick summary[20:08:58] LWK: Start bank balance: £5,215.09[20:09:00] LWK: Out: £1,870.66[20:09:03] LWK: In: £2,239.46[20:09:03] LWK_mac (~LWK@pdpc/supporter/student/lwk) joined the channel.[20:09:04] LWK: End: £5,583.89[20:09:06] LWK: Paypal Start: £5.58[20:09:08] LWK: Paypal End: £5.58[20:09:10] LWK: Cash Start balance: £347.79[20:09:12] LWK: Cash In: £410.09[20:09:14] LWK: Cash Out: £26.76[20:09:14] LWK_mac (~LWK@pdpc/supporter/student/lwk) left IRC. (Client Quit)[20:09:16] LWK: Cash End: £731.12[20:09:18] LWK: [edit]Members[20:09:20] LWK: Start: 198[20:09:22] LWK: New: 8[20:09:23] AndrewA: Actions list: Gas Canister is being worked on (to be collected), in progress, other actions all on wiki and nothing outstanding to discuss[20:09:23] LWK: Ex: ?[20:09:26] LWK: End: 220[20:09:28] LWK: [edit]In/out Breakdown[20:09:30] LWK: [edit]Outgoings[20:09:32] LWK: BizSpace: £ 1,234.56[20:09:34] LWK: Talk talk: £28.9[20:09:36] LWK: Insurance: £66.70[20:09:38] LWK: Other: £540.23[20:09:40] LWK: [edit]Income[20:09:42] LWK: Membership dues: £1,894.61[20:09:44] LWK: Petty Cash Deposits: £[20:09:46] LWK: Workshops: £263.25[20:09:48] LWK: Donations: £81.60[20:09:50] LWK: Events: £[20:09:52] LWK: Pledges: £[20:10:28] AndrewA: Repeat for clarity: Actions list: Gas Canister is being worked on (to be collected), in progress, other actions all on wiki and nothing outstanding to discuss[20:10:36] AndrewA: Bank Accounts[20:11:18] LWK: Members[20:11:20] LWK: Start: 220[20:11:22] LWK: New: 8[20:11:24] LWK: Ex: ?[20:11:26] LWK: End: 228[20:11:30] AndrewA: James: Couple of issues with banks. Matt Lloyd can't prove who he is and all the trustees are needed. Some banks are too complex.[20:12:02] AndrewA: James: Simple bank account is one account where only one trustee is needed, and an account for complex signing where two trustees - which are required for grants[20:13:01] AndrewA: Barclays: not allowed two accounts under one name[20:13:18] AndrewA: Barclays: Don't want to do business with you if you open more than one account with multiple banks[20:13:59] AndrewA: James: Likely plan: not tell either one about the other[20:14:19] AndrewA: Jake: Less swearing in the meeting about banks please[20:15:08] AndrewA: James: Accountant need to be done soon - accountant will be £200. Other hackspaces do £450-£500 accountants![20:15:43] AndrewA: Meeting time[20:15:50] AndrewA: Next meeting hits January 1st[20:15:57] AndrewA: Jake: Suggests moving it to 8th of January[20:16:05] AndrewA: Agreed by majority[20:16:15] AndrewA: Still be an open hack night on the 1st[20:17:37] AndrewA: Snackspace Status[20:18:04] AndrewA: David H: HMS sets everyones credit limit to £50 due to old machine.[20:18:21] AndrewA: David H: One member left after getting £30 of kits unpaid[20:19:43] moop_ (~moop@90.205.60.233) left IRC. (Quit: Leaving...)[20:19:51] AndrewA: Daniel: System already lets credit be added to the system. Changing £50 to 0 would be easy, then people can work on credit instead of debit[20:19:55] AndrewA: Daniel: Notes reader will be added soon[20:20:06] AndrewA: James H: Suggest not change system until note reader is ready[20:20:45] AndrewA: James H: It might not even be necessary to change this system anyway[20:21:05] AndrewA: Jake: Wait on a full decision[20:21:25] AndrewA: David H: Can lower it now though[20:21:56] AndrewA: Andrew rushes out to check price of highest thing is £20[20:22:16] AndrewA: £20 limit applied[20:22:27] AndrewA: ---- Agenda items ----[20:22:31] -nh-holly- Door Opened by: Woozle (last seen 00h 00m 00s ago)[20:22:32] -nh-holly- Door Opened by:[20:23:09] AndrewA: 1. Large pile 'o' donations[20:23:22] AndrewA: Matt L: Several items and very good items in the pile[20:23:54] AndrewA: Matt L: Proposal to do quick organising over several evenings. Things are already being sorted already. Things are also being sorted in the space. Big positive in the end.[20:24:01] AndrewA: Matt L: It is a lot of work and need some help though[20:24:24] AndrewA: Michael E: Is it worth putting a pile of the rest on ebay for 99p collect only?[20:24:46] AndrewA: Matt L: A lot of badly packed but interesting components for art projects. Lots already sorted. Potential for a few piles of stuff to sell.[20:25:07] AndrewA: James H: Happily will come in and help[20:25:08] KateMonkey: Pick a few days and we'll publicise it on the newsletter and the like, because I know I'd like to dig through that.[20:25:25] AndrewA: Matt L: Action: One evening will be actioned to be added to the calendar and announced[20:26:29] AndrewA: Matt L: Also can sort bags of stuff for other hackspaces (like spare bench supplies)[20:26:45] AndrewA: Matthew G: Gift packages can be made as a gesture of goodwill[20:26:54] AndrewA: Matt L: Is on this even though more is coming in[20:27:06] AndrewA: 2. Pledge drives and large purchases[20:27:56] AndrewA: David C: People coming up saying we've had money in the bank and could be spending it[20:28:26] AndrewA: David C: This is only a recent event, but not anywhere near close to a three months rent yet for instance[20:29:09] AndrewA: David C: Personally should not be looking at this money and keep skimming off the top[20:30:00] AndrewA: David C: If we had a decent fund available we could use it for moderate to large items, and would save constantly having to prioritise which tool is more important to buy[20:30:49] AndrewA: David C: Had a grand idea, pledge drive for £1000. Around £5 per member. If we got another £1000 could legitimately take out of the hackspace account and take that same amount out of the account (£2000 total) to invest[20:31:04] AndrewA: David C: Some money already allocated to furniture and three phase power[20:31:29] AndrewA: David C: Is it worth doing a drive for this fund before we plan spending money?[20:32:11] AndrewA: James H: Great idea, wanted to reiterate that £5000 in the bank isn't a huge amount of money[20:32:54] AndrewA: James H: Need to have around £15000 cash to move onto Hackspace 3.0[20:33:33] AndrewA: James H: Reckless coming here without the right amount of cash - now have members and things to take care of[20:33:46] AndrewA: James H: Had a year and a half of muddling around in the current hackspace - would be better to have cash to sort the new one[20:34:25] AndrewA: Matt L: It's a good point about the bank money not being that much. An interesting idea but prefer a more specific pledge drive to know what I am looking towards. Pillar drill for instance - needed a good pillar drill.[20:34:33] AndrewA: Matt L: Not sure what people are buying, a bit more directed.[20:34:57] AndrewA: Michael E: Here here[20:35:14] AndrewA: Chris: Terribly tempting to spend £1000 of other peoples money on things[20:35:28] AndrewA: Matthew G: Is there any internal kickstarter software?[20:35:42] AndrewA: James H: No there isn't, Pledge Drive system is on the list for HMS[20:35:47] AndrewA: Matthew G: Might help sort that out[20:36:04] AndrewA: James H: On Matts point a priority list would possibly work[20:37:25] AndrewA: Andrew A: Is there enough active members?[20:37:45] AndrewA: Jake H: Around 70 members active when it was 150 members, need to recalculate (based on semi-regular attendance and mailing list use)[20:38:45] AndrewA: Andrew A: how often are we going to do this?[20:38:48] AndrewA: Russell: Doesn't this introduce some problems with "one amount for the pot"?[20:40:06] AndrewA: Andrew A: What about our membership fee?[20:40:47] AndrewA: James H: No reason to stop other pledges, etc.[20:41:10] AndrewA: Matt L: Members already pay what they feel they can, and so asking for pledges to often might worry[20:42:03] AndrewA: David C: If we ask for £1000 and only get £500 from members, does the hackspace money get used for the other quarter? (£500)[20:42:59] AndrewA: Matthew G: Like following the kickstarter model, separate pledge drives, difficult to judge though[20:43:40] AndrewA: Gareth: Perception of "What am I paying for anyway?" a different model might be humble bundle model - pay what you want - secondary is a slider for how much you want to go on different parts of it. Complicated but could pledge a few more quid a month distributed for pledges and the rest for membership[20:43:58] AndrewA: James H: Technically for 1 payment might be hard but with two accounts could do that potentially[20:44:14] AndrewA: Michael E: Devils advocate: Can people decide what people don't want money to be spent on?[20:45:51] AndrewA: James H: It is wrong to suggest one member has control over how things are run by having a member choose what a membership fee is paid towards project/pledge wise (such as "I don't want a mill so don't put any of my money towards it")[20:46:38] AndrewA: Matthew G: Action: Suggestion for a policies for pledge drives and ask people what they think[20:47:01] AndrewA: James H and David C: Action: Start a discussion on a priority list.[20:47:52] AndrewA: 3. Volunteer coordination and encouragement[20:48:29] AndrewA: David H: Action: Drafting an email for all members to encourage coordination.[20:48:37] AndrewA: Jake: Will probably leave further discussion for the future[20:49:05] AndrewA: Michael E: Google group should be pushed to new members (some don't even know about it)[20:49:16] AndrewA: David H: It is in one of the emails but some people just don't want to be on it[20:49:32] AndrewA: Gareth: Need to organise another meeting outside the monthly meetings to discuss this[20:49:43] AndrewA: Jake: Not enough time to do it before next meeting[20:49:53] KateMonkey: Yeah, I want to make sure people know things, but I need to be in the meeting.[20:49:54] AndrewA: Gareth: Action: Will suggest dates for this on the mailing lsit[20:50:11] KateMonkey: Because I am all over that like hot glue on your fingers.[20:50:30] AndrewA: They're all talking so I can't add your voice but tell David and Gareth Kate by email[20:50:31] AndrewA: :)[20:50:45] KateMonkey: Go on and shout, Andrew. MAKE THEM HEAR ME.[20:50:47] KateMonkey: ;)[20:51:20] AndrewA: 4. Bins[20:51:28] AndrewA: Matthew G: the bins down the bottom cannot be used for rubbish[20:51:47] AndrewA: Matthew G: They are bizspace internal only. Not even part of our contract.[20:52:06] KateMonkey: the bottom of where?[20:52:18] AndrewA: David C: What brought this up originally, Bizspace thought there was people coming in from outside to fill their bins[20:52:36] AndrewA: Inside large bins down at the bottom of the stairs in the middle of the building[20:53:07] AndrewA: David C: A letter was sent saying large items are a big no-no but smaller items in bin liners might be fine[20:53:38] AndrewA: Matthew G: Table downstairs which might need to be removed from downstairs[20:53:47] AndrewA: David C: Jamie was happy how it was going so far[20:54:22] AndrewA: James H: Need to make sure to not put big items down there in the future, else it is necessary to pay for commercial bin service[20:54:30] AndrewA: 5. Metalworking Area and Three Phase[20:54:45] AndrewA: Matt L: Need to build a wall and cost up three phase.[20:54:51] AndrewA: Matt L: Action: Price up and bring to a meeting[20:56:06] AndrewA: 6. Laser cutter[20:56:17] AndrewA: Jake: Split the discussion: now just where the laser cutter is up to[20:56:59] AndrewA: James H: Laser construction update: Joe, Matt and Russell are currently coming up for a design for an x/y gantry. Missed a meeting last week (wasn't advertised).[20:57:09] AndrewA: James H: Christmas day is the date for a plan.[20:57:48] AndrewA: Jake: Now suggest put as primary item at the next meeting[20:58:34] AndrewA: James H: Agreed with that. Meetings for this are open and there will be one in a few weeks.[20:59:14] AndrewA: Jake: Meeting closed[20:59:21] KateMonkey: Yay[20:59:46] AndrewA: Jake: We missed one item I put on but no matter[20:59:49] AndrewA: James H: You're going to say you finished this meeting in an hour aren't you?[20:59:57] AndrewA: Jake: No, I'm going to say we finished it in 58 minutes![21:00:09] ShantyMan