Bartop Arcade Machine
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Mini Defender machine based on Raspberry Pi with separate interchangeable control panels.
<TODO photo gallery>
<TODO summary and jump menu>
- Raspberry Pi
- PiPlay AdvanceMAME install
- initially using a Raspberry Pi Model B+ I got from Phenoptix (for £26.99 using a 10% discount code for EMFCAMP 2014)
- upgraded to a Raspberry Pi 2 Model B to improve performance (£33.94 from CPC with 8Gb NOOBS SD card)
- Dell e172fpb LCD 17-in monitor with broken controls
- thanks to Rob Miles for the donation
- fault: main menu flashes up - removed panel controls for now, which solves it until I need to make adjustments
- BENQ internals
- removed plastic housing and built a thin laser-cut boxing to hold it in place
- 360 x 296 However, there are tabs and screws on the sides that stick out slightly
- had a go at fixing the panel controls - buzzed out all the connections and one of the pushbuttons is slightly dodgy but nothing major
- refitted panel buttons and they all seem to bring up a padlock icon!
- OSD locked seems to be a common issue with these monitors http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19281532
- other crazyness! http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Dell-LCD-Monitor-Flashing-Padlock-Icon/index.htm
- HDMI-VGA adapter & gender changer
- from DealExtreme - they have many versions at different prices
- worked fine with the Pi Model B+ but when I tried to use it on the Pi 2 B it would not work. I spent a few evenings going through many Pi config settings and eventually I came out with a magic combination that worked - I'd better write that down!
- 2x HP PC speakers from scrap - 16ohm, nice shape
- Audio TDA7053AT 2x1W Audio Power Amplifier SO16W http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/TDA7053A.pdf
- Alternate amp: PAM8403 - 99p with 50k pot
- 19mm plywood sides
- annoyingly the plywood is not even flat! both sides bend off square to one side!
- Chipboard base
- Knock-Down joints for assembly -- http://www.screwfix.com/p/white-kd-joints-pack-of-10/87601
- slot cutter - from China for huge discount - 1/4" shaft required use of big router table which isn't flat!
- living hinge plywood bends with laser polypropylene sheet veneer surface
- adhesive to use for polypropylene to plywood?
- 3M Scotch-Weld Hi-Strength 90 Spray Adhesive
- backlit marquee panel
- 19mm plywood sides
- Control panel: Defender layout
- original dimensions metricated!
- laminated laser cut ply and MDF
- gold leaf switch buttons
- Sanwa bat joystick
- with modified mounting plate: a diagonal cut-away that is essential to get the reverse button close enough to the joystick
- plate 95mm x 78mm
- square plastic housing is 65mm square. Use 66mm to be safe