|Date||Friday July 24th - Sunday July 26th, 2020|
|Location||Eastnor Castle Deer Park, Ledbury|
|Official EMF org links||https://www.emfcamp.org/|
|Other info||EMF Wiki, EMF-specific FAQs|
Every year, we go as a big group and set up the Nottingham Hackspace village. We offer something to EMF attendees (EMF2016 we brought BarBot, Snackspace and Fire Pong) in a canvas tent if possible. There is obviously a cost to this.
If you are interested in joining the village for 2020, please fill in the table below - we'll need to have a proper planning meeting to organise volunteers and arrange equipment at some point.
Food sometimes is arranged as part of the village - but EMF now hosts a large array of food vendors making this much less necessary.
|Name||Ticket Bought||Transport||Going On||Returning On||Notes|
|Andrew Armstrong||Will be||Car||Setup||Teardown|
This is a list of vehicles traveling to EMF 2018. Please update as necessary including any room you have for passengers and stuff.
|Vehicle||Driver||Going On||Returning On||Passenger Spaces||Room for Stuff?||Passengers|
|Vehicle||Driver name||Driving there on X||Driving back to Nottingham on Y||Empty seats||Room for stuff||Who's going (not inc driver)|
|Car||Andrew Armstrong||Setup day (Thursday?)||Teardown (Monday?)||Yes||Yes|
This is a rough list of (large, shared) stuff we'll be taking to EMF and will need to find space for in vehicles. There may be space for camping equipment for anyone not traveling by car.
A bunch of us are giving talks and/or doing workshops, because we like to hear the sound of our own voices.
What to Bring
Here are some ideas of things you might want to bring with you.
|Decent quality long extension lead||If you want power to your tent from the centralised power. 20M reel would be recommended to be sure.|
|4-way extension lead or similar||Plugs will be limited, bring to ensure you have enough for your devices|
|Money||Money can buy food and/or beverages|
|Teacup||Having your own teacup you can re-use will help us out|
|Medication||Bring your own pain killers/hangover cures, we do not supply this! First aiders will be on site.|
|Camping Chairs||Chairs have been ordered for village use, bring your own to guarantee a place to sit and for your own tent.|
|Long Ethernet cable||If you want ethernet in your tent|
|Micro USB cables||The EMF badge charges via a micro USB cable and you'll probably want a spare for your phone/kindle/tablet etc.|
|Torch||It gets dark at night|
|Rubber Mallet||To help put up your own tent and others|
|Drinks||There is a bar but you might want to bring spirits or other drinks for yourself.|
|Snacks||To keep your going between meals|
|Toiletries||Stuff to wash with, towels, toothbrush etc.|
|Raincoat and Wellies||It will probably rain at some point and it's in a field|
|Sun Cream||There might be sun at some point and you'll be outdoors|
|Bug Spray||It's near water and some people have tasty blood|
|Jumpers, Jacket and Hoodies||It will be cold at night and you'll be outdoors|
|Painkillers||E.g. Paracetamol/Ibuprofen. Some people get ill, some get hangovers. These are cheap, small and occasionally necessary.|
Minutes of EMF planning meetings to (hopefully) go here.
If you're planning to do a project to take to EMF 2020 and might want to collaborate with others or group together for transport etc, please consider adding a page to this section.
Previous EMF Projects
- Wunderkammer in 2020 setup by Kate in our small village
- BarBot - Mouse and volunteers ran BarBot. It was a lot of work, but a lot of fun too. They needed at least three people during the event and one coordinator/planner pre- and during the event. Contact Mouse if you think you'd like to organise/run BarBot at EMF 2018.
- Fire Pong - Nottinghack collaboration resulting in an attraction involving fire, giant ping pong bats and 1-D pong. Enormously popular.
- MORE NOTTINGHACK FLAGS AND STUFF
- Bring more bottle openers
- If we keep doing big stuff like snackspace and barbot, may as well just hire a 6x6 tent to have both inside, away from our village kit.
- Also extra room for storage too.
- Expanded range; crisps, energy bars, non-fizzy drinks, fruit
- Overall worked really well
- Better signage
- Ensure whatever card payment method we use has its own dedicated gps (to avoid thinking we're in Holland because of the wifi)
- Cheap/unused android phone as a dedicated device? Frees up the Fire even more then.
- 2x boxes of cola bottles sold out fast - recommend 3 at least
- Dedicated fridge for drinks was v successful
- Hand sanitizer - lots
You can log any software improvements/fixes that might help as issues on github (DanielS).
- People fucking love some robo-cocktails
- Better signage - pre-print and laminate some signs with instructions / address at the hackspace
- HS2.5 Badge rewards for donating worked really well
- Make sure Kindle Fire is charged!
- Grenadine gets everywhere
- Background music on final day worked well
- Enough lighting to avoid having to use fluorescent lights (fairy lights were good)
- Cheap RGB strips? Could even wire them up to respond to music
- Grenadine syringe refill is tedious - "there has to be a better way!" - need to look into this
- better dasher refill technique needed - there's a hole in the top of each bottle so let's use it!
- umbrella in every drink - it's the final flourish and the disappointment of the users was evident - could require a wider hi-ball glass or more adjustable brolly dropper
- cherry conveyor was rarely working - way sticky - needs a teardown and clean and the cherries need rinsing before adding
- Also something to make the belt a bit grippier - little cocktail stick sections glued on the outside?
- also the ability to load more cherries (and other consumables) from behind barbot would have a better effect
- our working layout was spoiling the automation wonder effect - having a human slave carry a glass to the far end of the track - being able to add a glass from the other end and preferably from behind barbot would be better.
- For 2014 we had the optics end against one tent wall and the 'loading' end free - this is probably the optimal layout for now (unless we change how stuff is loaded)
- Can umbrella dispenser be hinged? Can be flipped up to load from behind and dropped for dispensing then
- losing track of the hi-ball glass riser kinda sucked with the flow of operating
- we discovered both kinds of glass could hold the same amount - maybe just rock it with cocktail glasses?
- more human slaves required - this is a good money spinner and worth more members available to serve is better
- one of the mixer taps needs repair and some of the MDF is starting to swell from moisture!
- some sort of status screen might be good?
- Taking the number screen again would be great
have field on web interface to give a name when ordering - would be so much easier to locate who had what number!- Already implemented and tested on the the last day of EMF 2016