EMF Camp 2020
|Date||Friday July 24th - Sunday July 26th, 2020|
|Location||Eastnor Castle Deer Park, Ledbury|
|Ticket Prices||Full Camp Ticket £140, Under-18 £55, Under-12 £0|
Parking £18, Caravan/Campervan £45
Full list here
|Official EMF org links||https://www.emfcamp.org/|
Saturday 14 March at 11:00 GMT Thursday 2 April at 21:00 BST (UTC+1)
|Other info||EMF Wiki, EMF-specific FAQs|
|Pay it forward ticket||EMF 2020 Ticket Pledge|
|EMF Village Pledge||EMF 2020 Village Pledge|
Every year, we go as a big group and set up the Nottingham Hackspace village. We offer something to EMF attendees (EMF2016 we brought BarBot, Snackspace and Fire Pong) in a canvas tent if possible. There is obviously a cost to this.
If you are interested in joining the village for 2020, please fill in the table below. There is the opportunity for shared transport and to help pay the cost for the village (costs tbc).
We are also trying for 2020 a "pay it forward" ticket pledge drive - so there may be an opportunity to come on a free ticket that members of the Hackspace pledge towards - the trustees will organise the raffle if we get a ticket secured. See the
Food is available on the site not necessitating a shared meal/BBQ stuff for this year. Snackspace will be run however for snacks!
We are also doing a EMF 2020 Village Pledge to help fund the marquee, tables, chairs and core things for EMF.
|Name||Ticket Bought||Transport||Going On||Returning On||Notes|
|Andrew Armstrong||Will be||Car||Setup||Teardown|
|'RepRap' Matt||Not yet||Other||Way before anyone else||Some time after everyone else||Will be with EMF Orga|
|Dominic Morrow||Yes||TBD||TBD||TBD||Not camping, staying off site.|
|Michael Erskine||Yes||car||TBD||TBD||away for Wonkfest all Saturday|
This is a list of vehicles traveling to EMF 2020. Please update as necessary including any room you have for passengers and stuff.
|Vehicle||Driver||Going On||Returning On||Passenger Spaces||Room for Stuff?||Passengers|
|Vehicle||Driver name||Driving there on X||Driving back to Nottingham on Y||Empty seats||Room for stuff||Who's going (not inc driver)|
|Car||Andrew Armstrong||Setup day (Thursday)||Teardown (Monday)||Maybe||Yes||Sapphira Kingfisher, Martin Faraway|
|Van||James Spence||Setup day (Thursday)||Teardown (Monday)||??||See below|
If we run a full village we will be transporting items down. Here is a sizable list of things the hackspace will be taking. There may be additional room for peoples camping gear depending on size. If people want to offer shared gazebos or anything let us know!
|Item Name||Owner / Location||Transport||Notes|
|Lighting Strips||Nottinghack/HS 2.5||Hackspace Transport||Required for village tent lighting|
|Tables||Alex Roberts||Hackspace Transport||We can hire tables too, so may not be necessary.|
|Card Reader||Hackspace / ???||Hackspace Transport||Needed for people paying for workshops, paying for snackspace|
|Soldering Irons and Badgemaking Kits||Hackspace / Blue room / Electronics||Hackspace Transport||Required for badgemaking workshops|
|Barbot||Hackspace / Project Storage||Hackspace Transport||If barbot works|
|Barbot consumables||Hackspace||Hackspace Transport||If barbot works. Various alcohol and mixers and little umbrellas etc.|
|Snackspace Items||Hackspace / TBC and brought||Hackspace Transport||Sweets, possibly something slightly more healthy.|
A bunch of us are giving talks and/or doing workshops, because we like to hear the sound of our own voices.
Also we'll be doing Nottinghack village workshops. Note below if you're doing it for the village or generally. The rota for the village will be arranged with those doing the workshops based on their availability so add that if you can.
|Talk/Workshop/Event Name||Person||Nottinghack Village?||Time||Notes|
|Badge Making / Soldering Workshops||Andrew Armstrong and Samathy Barrett||Yes||1 hour - once a day likely on Fri/Sat/Sun, whoever turns up||Uses the exiting badge kits and soldering irons in the space, or more advanced stuff Samathy organises|
|Comics Making / Doodling||Gareth Howell (and others?)||Yes||1 hour - once a day likely on Fri/Sat/Sun||Can do 1 session purely for kids, 1 for adults.|
|Everything is a keyboard||Alex Roberts||Yes||1-2 hours||15 people. Costs increase if people are taking them with them|
|Makey Makey's||No one yet - available workshop to run||Yes||1-2 hours||This is a potential kid-friendly workshop to run|
|Boomerang workshop||Dan Spencer + assitance||Yes||1-2 hours||Will need assistance - needs sanding paper and coping saw - 10 people at max - costs for wood or cardboard for materials|
|Macramé workshop||Ali Maq||Yes||1-2 hours||Macramé workshop for doing a fluid holding item (Eg; can or bottle). String and safety pins. 3-4 people. Drop in one or two sessions.|
|Board Games||Andrew Armstrong||Yes||3-4 hours||Probably late afternoon board game period. May involve D&D for beginners too.|
|CnC workshop||Moop and Dan||Yes||1 hour||Adults 3 at a time - noisy but can do over an hour and do it continually.|
|Laser cutter induction||Ali Maq||Yes||15 minutes a slot||1-2 people, limited amount at a time, Maybe an hour with 15 minute slots. Get a keyring at the end.|
List of things people are bringing to display/have used in the tent. Tent size is aiming for 6x9 meters with tables and chairs inside.
Village size estimate for the application; 6x9m for big tent (54m2). 3x3m for fire pit etc. (9m2) 3x5m for van or storage space (15m2). 3x3m per tent on average and 20 or so tents (9m2 x 20 = 180m2). 54 + 9 + 15 + 180 = 258m2
|Stop Motion||Gareth Howell and Andrew Armstrong||Laptop with iStop Motion - background thing to run on a table. Alex offers to do a button for the laptop to run it. Andrew will bring some Lego to use.|
|CnC Machine||Dan and Moop||Engraving names on wood. Kids can even do it.|
|Laser Cutter||Ali and Dominic||If Dominic agrees we can borrow the A3 for the weekend, but only if he agrees!|
|Barbot and fog machine||Andrew and others||Fog machine is notably a possiblity - is in team storage. Needs refills.|
|Home woodworking bench, plus vice plus woodworking tools||Dan||Dn wants a vice, to help with workworking stuff, and other hackspace tools.|
|Joust||Alex Roberts||for evening play!|
|Robot Table Football||Moop||2 robots per team, ping pong into the opponents goal. May be able to get laser cut personalised clip on pieces (ala Robot Wars modifications) if we take the laser cutter.|
|Lighting Installation||Samathy and others||Laser display boards, lights and so forth.|
|Banner||Need to procure!||Mainly a note need to get sorted.|
Nottinghack Village Volunteers
We'll probably do a rough rota for the Nottinghack Village and snackspace so it is hopefully manned most of the daytime to show off projects and assist with Snackspace. This is TBC depending on Snackspace, and peoples availability (we'll just close the tent if no one is available and nothing is going on!). We'd not leave anyone running a workshop alone if at all possible, and if they are we'd otherwise close the tent.
|Person||Availability (Day, time)||Notes|
|Andrew Armstrong||Most times minus workshops being run||Will be covering gaps/helping organise|
What to Bring
Here are some ideas of things you might want to bring with you.
|Decent quality long extension lead||If you want power to your tent from the centralised power. 20M reel would be recommended to be sure.|
|4-way extension lead or similar||Plugs will be limited, bring to ensure you have enough for your devices|
|Money||Money can buy food and/or beverages|
|Teacup||Having your own teacup you can re-use will help us out|
|Medication||Bring your own pain killers/hangover cures, we do not supply this! First aiders will be on site.|
|Camping Chairs||Chairs have been ordered for village use, bring your own to guarantee a place to sit and for your own tent.|
|Long Ethernet cable||If you want ethernet in your tent|
|Micro USB cables||The EMF badge charges via a micro USB cable and you'll probably want a spare for your phone/kindle/tablet etc.|
|Torch||It gets dark at night|
|Rubber Mallet||To help put up your own tent and others|
|Drinks||There is a bar but you might want to bring spirits or other drinks for yourself.|
|Snacks||To keep your going between meals|
|Toiletries||Stuff to wash with, towels, toothbrush etc.|
|Raincoat and Wellies||It will probably rain at some point and it's in a field|
|Sun Cream||There might be sun at some point and you'll be outdoors|
|Bug Spray||It's near water and some people have tasty blood|
|Jumpers, Jacket and Hoodies||It will be cold at night and you'll be outdoors|
|Painkillers||E.g. Paracetamol/Ibuprofen. Some people get ill, some get hangovers. These are cheap, small and occasionally necessary.|
EMF meetings and notes:
If you're planning to do a project to take to EMF 2020 and might want to collaborate with others or group together for transport etc, please consider adding a page to this section.
Previous EMF Projects
- Wunderkammer in 2018 setup by Kate in our small village
- BarBot - Mouse and volunteers ran BarBot. It was a lot of work, but a lot of fun too. They needed at least three people during the event and one coordinator/planner pre- and during the event. Mouse has agreed this can be run in 2020 if it's not him doing it (Andrew looking into this)
- Fire Pong - Nottinghack collaboration resulting in an attraction involving fire, giant ping pong bats and 1-D pong. Enormously popular.
- MORE NOTTINGHACK FLAGS AND STUFF - big banners, branding!
- Bring more bottle openers
- If we keep doing big stuff like snackspace and barbot, may as well just hire a 6x6 tent to have both inside, away from our village kit.
- Also extra room for storage too.
Ikea Furniture Building Challenge
Dominic suggests: team based Ikea building to a timer.
- Practice your billy bookcase in advance!
- Build in the Nottinghack Village
- Kallax 2x4 to build (would need a few in case they break probably)
- Only Ikea tools
- Timed and a high score list
- We'll need the card reader from the space for this and workshop payments
- Expanded range; crisps, energy bars, non-fizzy drinks, fruit
- Overall worked really well
- Better signage
- Ensure whatever card payment method we use has its own dedicated gps (to avoid thinking we're in Holland because of the wifi)
- Cheap/unused android phone as a dedicated device? Frees up the Fire even more then.
- 2x boxes of cola bottles sold out fast - recommend 3 at least
- Dedicated fridge for drinks was v successful
- Hand sanitizer - lots
You can log any software improvements/fixes that might help as issues on github (DanielS).
- People fucking love some robo-cocktails
- Better signage - pre-print and laminate some signs with instructions / address at the hackspace
- HS2.5 Badge rewards for donating worked really well
- Make sure Kindle Fire is charged!
- Grenadine gets everywhere
- Background music on final day worked well
- Enough lighting to avoid having to use fluorescent lights (fairy lights were good)
- Cheap RGB strips? Could even wire them up to respond to music
- Grenadine syringe refill is tedious - "there has to be a better way!" - need to look into this
- better dasher refill technique needed - there's a hole in the top of each bottle so let's use it!
- umbrella in every drink - it's the final flourish and the disappointment of the users was evident - could require a wider hi-ball glass or more adjustable brolly dropper
- cherry conveyor was rarely working - way sticky - needs a teardown and clean and the cherries need rinsing before adding
- Also something to make the belt a bit grippier - little cocktail stick sections glued on the outside?
- also the ability to load more cherries (and other consumables) from behind barbot would have a better effect
- our working layout was spoiling the automation wonder effect - having a human slave carry a glass to the far end of the track - being able to add a glass from the other end and preferably from behind barbot would be better.
- For 2014 we had the optics end against one tent wall and the 'loading' end free - this is probably the optimal layout for now (unless we change how stuff is loaded)
- Can umbrella dispenser be hinged? Can be flipped up to load from behind and dropped for dispensing then
- losing track of the hi-ball glass riser kinda sucked with the flow of operating
- we discovered both kinds of glass could hold the same amount - maybe just rock it with cocktail glasses?
- more human slaves required - this is a good money spinner and worth more members available to serve is better
- one of the mixer taps needs repair and some of the MDF is starting to swell from moisture!
- some sort of status screen might be good?
- Taking the number screen again would be great
have field on web interface to give a name when ordering - would be so much easier to locate who had what number!- Already implemented and tested on the the last day of EMF 2016