RFID door cards for new members, or replacement cards for existing members (subject to £1 charge), are normally available from the membership team at a Wednesday Open Hack Night.
However, at times when it's not possible for the membership team to meet with members (e.g. during Covid pandemic lock-downs), the membership team will keep a small stock of blank cards in the main entrance and on request will provide members with a PIN number to self-register a card with HMS.
It is also possible to use this process to register other RFID cards (e.g. Oyster, Mango, Nottingham City Library Card, Citycard, most student and university IDs, some work ID / door cards) however this is not preferred as some of these cards will not work with all of our card readers.
RFID Card Setup
- Contact the membership team by email (email@example.com) to obtain a PIN number for your HMS account. (The membership team will only send this PIN number to your email address registered in HMS).
During the Covid pandemic it is necessary to book an access time in Space Access in HMS. Further help on booking can be found here. (If just visiting to collect a door card book 15 mins in the Upstairs Studio, however if intending to stay around then book time in the area you will be mainly be working in). Your access booking will be confirmed in an email when accepted. Visit the space during your confirmed access slot.As we are now at Level 4 no booking is needed.
- Take one card from the envelope in this box
- Go to Gatekeeper and place the RFID card on the green Hackspace 'H' logo.
- Gatekeeper will beep and display "Access Denied". This just confirms the card is readable and is not associated with a HMS account.
If it displays something other than just "Access Denied", like "Access Denied: Inactive card", there is an issue with the card your are trying to use, please try and different card or contact membership team
- Input the PIN number provided by the membership team before the display resets. The display will show "PIN cancelled" and card will then be linked to the member's HMS account.
- Present the card again and the display will show "Welcome [MEMBER NAME]" and the door will unlock. (Members can edit their unlock message by logging into HMS and editing their profile.)