The Hackspace Library consists of books donated or long-term loaned by members, focusing primarily on making, hacking, and reusing.
It is located in the comfy area, creating a dividing wall between the studio and the comfy area.
The Catalogue is a work in progress and edited by User:Kate.
The Catalogue is currently divided into 18 categories:
- Art & Design - For books about art, making art, and design.
- Business - For books on running a business, management, employment, etc.
- Comics - For comic books and graphic novels.
- Computing - For books on computers, computing languages, robotics, etc.
- Craft - For books on textiles, papercraft, etc.
- DIY - For books on woodworking, making things, repairing things, etc.
- Electronics - For books on electronics and electrics
- Engineering - For books on engineering and construction
- Fiction - For any fiction
- First Aid - For books on first aid
- Gaming - For books on games or game books
- History - For any non-fiction history books
- Hokum - For books on the paranormal, parapsychological, and general nonsense passed as science
- Learnings - For any books on passing tests, studying a subject, etc.
- Music - For song books and books on playing instruments
- Nerd Culture - A catch-all for any books that have topics that are popular in hackspace life, including pop culture, open source, and hacking
- Photography - Books on photography
- Science - Books on science and mathematics
These categories are mutable and may be removed or appended at any time.
Books According To Shelf
Shelves are organised roughly by category.
Details of these shelves will be written.
Books can be borrowed when needed. A system is being organised for borrowing, but it will be fairly simple and not requiring more than noting that a book exists, but it is out with a member.
Donations are always gratefully accepted.
All donations should go initially onto the "New Book Depository" shelf, so that they can be recorded into the system. Once they're in the catalogue, they will be moved to the appropriate shelf.
Long-term loans of books are appreciated. Currently, please place a post-it note in the front of the book with your name. This will then be picked up by Kate, and added to the catalogue notes.
There will (and should) be books in the library that can be converted into other uses.
These books will be marked in the catalogue as "Hackable" and will have a post-it note inside stating so.
If donating books that can be hacked, please place a post-it note in the front of the book with "Hackable" on it.
If hacking a book, please take photos of your work, so that we can show off the awesome work you do.
Items Respectfully Declined
We do not have the capacity to catalogue and organise the following items:
- Magazines (except for Make magazine)
- Print-outs and photocopies
- Newspaper clippings
If you want to have these in a place where other members can read them, please consider leaving them on the coffee tables in the comfy area, in the kitchen, or in the blue room.
The Hackspace also has a Nook Simple E-Reader, named NottingNook. It is located in the abridged Last Of The Mohicans book with the black elastic on it.
NottingNook will host a wide range of out-of-copyright fiction and non-fiction, including many books on making.
The list of books on NottingNook is being created and will be on this site shortly.
We ask that NottingNook does not leave the space.