New Laser Cutter Project 2014/Pledge Drive
Pledge drive for the new Laser Cutter.
We will be aiming to purchase a £4000 A0 80W laser cutter from Just Add Sharks. The proposed machine is detailed here. The main advantages over our current setup making it a real upgrade/replacement is:
- Hackspace owned - all money from using the laser will go into maintaining it and improving the space
- More power!! - will cut faster, and cut thicker material
- Larger bed size - can cut up to A0 size (1200x900)
- Better software - you could sort the laser patterns on another machine not taking up the laser laptop, plus it is much improved and easier to use and reliable
- Good price for the size - we are getting a special price including installation support for free
- Includes a larger cooler - can add a second laser later to run dual laser cutters in the future, making this a rather future proof solution
These rewards are offered for those people pledging:
- Free laser time - Every person paying their pledge will get a credited amount of laser time back at what they donated - £30 donated will give £30 of laser time.
Note: the final cost of laser time has not been determined, but £3 per hour is a commonly pointed to figure right now.
Other rewards may be offered, if your pledge may change because of it please say on the mailing list! None of these are confirmed in the slightest yet! please show interest so numbers can be drawn up!
- Free inductions - New users may get free inductions if they donate a certain amount of money. Please note existing inducted people will get a free weekend to learn the new software and machine.
- Free workshops - Personal idea to have a free workshop (materials, project, help and support) for big pledges to get them going on the laser
- Other things! - Please suggest ideas if you hope it will increase pledges and they will be considered.
There are of course plenty of additional stretch goals that can be obtained to improve what we buy! Pledge as much as you can so these can be reached; the costs may be added later.
- Spare parts - We could buy spare parts with the machine which would be cheaper than buying them later and guarantees compatibility.
- More powerful laser - 80W is the current power, but a more powerful laser can be faster and go through thicker material
- More materials - More exotic materials for the laser cutter could be purchased ready to be used for those who donate a certain amount
- Second laser cutter! - A smaller, A4 or A3 laser cutter, could be brought
List of pledges
Please post on the list if you really, truly have forgotten your HMS password and need to have someone else to update this.
|Who||How Much||Paid?||Method Paid|