Proper Use Of The Dish Washer
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- The dish washer is unsuitable for these items:
- Wooden cutting boards (the glue in them comes undone and they fall apart after a few cycles!)
- Frying pans / large saucepans (they block the flow of water and prevent the wash from being effective)
For other items:
- Scrape large dollops of ketchup, leftover food and so on from your plates / cutlery and into the bin before putting in the dish washer
- Large plates go best at the outside edge of lower tray, slotted vertically into the little prongs of the tray with the dirty side facing the middle of the machine
- Cutlery goes in the grey basket, however
- Longer items (break knives, wooden spoons, chop sticks etc) should be laid flat in the upper trays as they prevent the top spinner from rotating)
- Shorter sharp knives should be put pointy end down in the cutlery tray so people don't cut themselves when reaching into the machine!
- Other items should be placed such that they do not protrude through the plastic mesh and block the lower rotor (spoons & table knives should go bowl/blade end down if they have narrow handles)
- Cups and glasses work best in the upper trays, upside-down
- Detergent is in the form of tablet or little detergent sack things in a box or bag under the sink to the left of the disk washer
- Put the detergent tab in the grey compartment on the inside of the dishwasher door and slide the little compartment door closed until it latches
- With the trays inside the machine, spin the lower and upper rotors (by poking them with your hands - you may need to pull the trays out to put the rotors in a place you can reach them once the trays are pushed in). Make sure the rotors can spin freely and don't get stuck on protruding items. Re-arrange the items in the dish washer if necessary to permit free movement of the rotors
- Close the door until it clicks shut
- If there are no indicator lights on, press the on/off button on the left side of the machine
- Select "Normal" wash on the dial, and then press the middle of the dial button to start. The start/stop indicator should go to a solid on light
- Flip the magnetic sign to "empty me"
- Although for some reason people flip out about it, it's perfectly OK to open the dish-washer when running to add another item if there is space. Just be aware they may be a puff of steam coming out into your face if you do this.
- Be aware: if the dish washer has only just finished or is in the drying cycle, items inside will be hot
- Take things out, put them away
- Flip the magnetic sign to "fill me"
- If people have left dirty items in the sink or on the side while the washer was running, load them!
- While you're at it, give the side and take a wipe down, and tidy up the tea/coffee stuff