Team Tools and Resources
We use a range of free online tools to help teams and projects organise more efficiently.
Slack is the primary place for individual teams to chat and plan. Similar to IRC but also with logging features, Slack lets you chat in real-time with your team members while also letting you keep track of the conversation while you're away. Each team has their own Slack channel.
To sign up for Slack:
- Go to slack.nottinghack.org.uk
- Enter in your email address
- Get the email from Slack inviting you to join the group
- Create an account, and join in.
- You will first be in #general, the general announcements and discussion channel.
Trello is a project management system, where you can create lists, add tasks to the lists, and then move tasks as they are completed.
The Hackspace's To Do Board has lists for each team, and team members can add and move cards as needed.
As an example of how Trello can work for a hackspace, see Noisebridge's To-Do List
To sign up for Trello:
- Go to Trello and create an account
- Go to the Invite Page and click "Join"
- Work with your team as needed
Note: If the invite page is not working, please drop a message in your team's Slack channel.
All teams have a folder on the Hackspace Google Drive. Teams can then keep everything they need in one convenient location.
To sign up for Google Drive:
- Go to Google Drive
- Ask in your team's Slack channel for access to the folder
- When the folder is shared with you, select "Add to My Drive"
- The folder will now appear in your Google Drive
Teams also use Google Docs, Sheets, Forms, and other Google features to collaborate on documents, organise data, and get information.