The 35L Rule
Jump to navigation Jump to search
What - The letter of the rule
- ONLY members may store their "project" at the Hackspace
- Each member may have 1x 35L Jelly type Box with lid
- The box is provided by the Hackspace, members do not bring their own 35L box
- The £5 joining fee is used to buy the members box
- The box is the property of the Hackspace even if the member leaves the space
- A member will be considered to have left the space 4 months after no longer paying a membership fee by Standing Order
- Do Not go through another members box with out their express permission
Why - The spirit of the rule
- Hackers are hoarders, by encouraging Hackers to use a limited amount of space Hackers can make wise decisions about what they really want to keep at the space
- The number of Hackers who use the space is likely to grow exponentially with the size of the space itself so a limit must be imposed.
- Hackers may increase their membership payments to increase their storage space by negotiation.
- The Hackspace should not become overrun with parts for projects in progress and "DO NOT HACK" signs for projects that never get started
The two box system
- There are a couple of large grey boxes in the space, which serve to filter donations. One of these boxes is "active", and all donations should be placed into it.
- Any member (see rule 1) may take anything from the box and hack it, or put it in their personal 35L box to hack later.
- When the active box is full, it is closed and the empty box becomes active for new donations.
- Members may still take stuff out of the closed box, but the contents will be disposed of one month after the close date.
- The hackspace as a whole may also take things from the box system to be stored for later use
- Useful items like magnates, motors etc will be filtered into the "Wall O' Boxes" where the Hackspace consumables are kept for later use by members