|This page is a draft and is probably being actively worked on. Feel free to contribute, or make suggestions on the talk page. However, be aware that details are subject to change. (This page was last edited 13 February 2019 @ 19:04 GMT)|
This wiki has been in place since at least 2012, and many pages have not been updated in years. There are pages for tools we no longer have, outdated pages on tools we do have, and a lack of information on newer tools and on our teams and how the space works. The plan is to bring this wiki back up to date, and make it a resource that all ~600 of our members can count on.
Its worth mentioning that our Wiki is probably one of the better ones, when compared with other Hackspaces in the UK.
We're aiming to meet regularly on a Wednesday once a month to manage the cleanup project. The next meeting is scheduled for 13 March 2019.
- 1 How to help
- 2 Tasks
- 2.1 Reorganisation of projects
- 2.2 Deletion
- 2.3 New pages
- 2.4 Tools and equipment
- 2.5 Locations
- 2.6 Wiki documentation
- 2.7 Naming conventions and categories
- 2.8 Adding dates
- 2.9 Style
- 2.10 Rule pages
- 2.11 Encouraging wiki editors
- 2.12 Photos
- 2.13 Categorise all uncategorised pages
- 2.14 Topics needing better coverage
- 3 Resources
How to help
You can help by simply picking any page at all and updating it! Be Bold with your changes, nothing is lost when the wiki is edited; We can always revert back.
We use discussion pages to communicate and also the #wiki Slack channel.
Reorganisation of projects
Maybe have separate subcategories for projects that of large 'Projects (by team)' and ones that are more or less solo 'Projects (by member).
- Add Template:Project infobox to projects.
- 75 Projects are using it as of 06/02/2019
- Close out old projects by marking them as Complete or Dormant
- Encourage general membership to post projects.
- Even just a picture is ok, big essays are not necessary :)
The wiki is fairly old and has a lot of pages that haven't been updated in years. Pages that genuinely aren't required can be tagged with:
Please also include a reason which will be discussed at the next meeting.
Most pages that contain historic pages can be de-categorized and tagged with Template:archive
- As part of a wider documentation project in the hackspace we should create a page for each area of the space, and keep all relevant information on the wiki for members and guests to view.
- Add area infobox with map showing location.
- Write About:History Page
- (Category:Featured - our story pages may help)
- It currently contains an article that should be moved to Featured
- Update Hackspace 2.5.
- This is quite a big one that it feels like people want to see more about.
- Encourage Teams to update their [[Team:]] pages with current contacts/ members
- Convert 'list boxes' into template.
- Tidy alignment.
- Highlight featured pages.
- Make it easier to find task like tidying/ cleaning
- Make it clear how to contribute to the wiki
- Change the sidebar links so that they link to Pages (Or Portals like this?), Not categories
Tools and equipment
- Add some how-tos and reminders.
- Add Template:Tool infobox to Tools & Equipment pages
- 12 Tools are using it as of 24/01/2019
- Tools/We_Have could be useful page - need updating - links to tool page if relevant, images don't need to be with 'thumb' borders.
Each location ie, room, area and storage place could have a page. This in turn could link to pages of what is in that area and vice-versa. Location pages could have an infobox with a floor plan image indicating where it is.
- List all the namespaces and their functions Help: Category: etc. (partially done at Help:Quick reference#Namespaces)
- Encourage use of edit comments.
- Encourage wikilinking (Perhaps trawl through Special:LonelyPages and update where possible?).
Naming conventions and categories
- Have a naming convention for categories template etc. - for example, only capitalise first letter unless proper noun. Start with category type word first, for example, 'Category:Templates emoji' rather than 'Emoji templates'.
- Move articles that have been placed at the top of a category pages, for example Category:Rules and previously Category:Network. Move them back to article space.
A lot of the information on the wiki is lacking dates. This can be helped by adding date= parameter to any relevant template. Also categories like Category:Project started in 2012, Category:Tools and Equipment acquired in 2013 etc. could help.
Make infoboxes' top text white on dark green (like boxes on front page). For example, Template:Tool.
Rules are no longer updated on wiki (since 2016), make template for rule pages saying historical and pointing to rules.nottinghack.org.uk.
Encouraging wiki editors
- Welcome template.
- Meetup for editors.
- Update MediaWiki software/settings to allow thanking for contributions. Enable WYSIWYG editing?
- Photos are great! If a photo is needed, any page can be tagged with Template:Photo.
- Also, many photos are on the flickr, unfortunately a lot don't have descriptive titles.
Categorise all uncategorised pages
Categorise all uncategorised pages. Especially useful for template pages, as it avoids making a template that already exists. We could make a tag for uncategorised pages. See Special:SpecialPages:
- Special:UncategorizedCategories Done (December 2018)
- Special:UncategorizedTemplates Done (December 2018)
- Special:UncategorizedPages (136)
- Special:UncategorizedFiles (~1,316)
- Remove unused categories if no longer useful.
- Add categories to Widget: pages
- Many teams'pages have a category closely associated with them - add relevant pages (for example, Team:Metalworking will have many pages for category:Metalwork)
Topics needing better coverage
- Try to get info crafty tools and arty things as these seem to have little documentation currently. Things like screen printing are totally absent from the wiki.