The Hackspace Library consists of books donated or long-term loaned by members, focusing primarily on making, hacking, and reusing.
It is located in the comfy area, creating a dividing wall between the studio and the comfy area.
The Catalogue is a work in progress and edited by User:Kate.
The Catalogue is currently divided into 12 categories:
- Art - For books about art and making art.
- Business - For books on running a business, management, employment, etc.
- Comics - For comic books and graphic novels.
- Computing - For books on computers, computing languages, robotics, etc.
- Craft - For books on textiles, papercraft, etc.
- DIY - For books on woodworking, making things, repairing things, etc.
- Electronics - For books on electronics and electrics
- Fiction - For any fiction
- Learnings - For any books on passing tests, studying a subject, etc.
- Nerd Culture - A catch-all for any books that have topics that are popular in hackspace life, including pop culture, open source, and hacking
- Photography - Books on photography
- Science - Books on science
These categories are mutable and may be removed or appended at any time.
Books According To Shelf
Shelves are organised roughly by category, as follows (counting down from the top):
- Shelf Left One - Fiction, Comics and Hackable Books
- Shelf Left Two - Art, Craft, Photography, and Music
- Shelf Left Three - Nerd Culture and NottingNook
- Shelf Left Four - Computing
- Shelf Left Five - Fiction
- Shelf Left Six - Computing
- Shelf Right One - Games
- Shelf Right Two - Electronics & DIY
- Shelf Right Three - Science & Learnings
- Shelf Right Four - New Book Depository
- Shelf Right Five - Business, Comics and Computing (Behind the blue sofa)
- Shelf Right Six - Business, Comics and Computing (Behind the blue sofa)
Shelves behind the blue sofa can still be accessed, if you don't mind moving the sofa.
A list of which book is on which shelf will be written.
Books can be borrowed when needed. A system is being organised for borrowing, but it will be fairly simple and not requiring more than noting that a book exists, but it is out with a member.
Donations are always gratefully accepted.
All donations should go initially onto the "New Book Depository" shelf, so that they can be recorded into the system. Once they're in the catalogue, they will be moved to the appropriate shelf.
Long-term loans of books are appreciated. Currently, please place a post-it note in the front of the book with your name. This will then be picked up by Kate, and added to the catalogue notes.
There will (and should) be books in the library that can be converted into other uses.
These books will be marked in the catalogue as "Hackable" and will have a post-it note inside stating so.
If donating books that can be hacked, please place a post-it note in the front of the book with "Hackable" on it.
If hacking a book, please take photos of your work, so that we can show off the awesome work you do.
The Hackspace also has a Nook Simple E-Reader, named NottingNook. It is located in the abridged Last Of The Mohicans book with the black elastic on it.
NottingNook will host a wide range of out-of-copyright fiction and non-fiction, including many books on making.
The list of books on NottingNook is being created and will be on this site shortly.
We ask that NottingNook does not leave the space.