Discord is an online communications platform, containing a number of servers (think chatrooms!). Being in the Nottingham Hackspace server will allow you to take part in online discussions with other members of the Hackspace. The server is arranged into a number of channels, each focussed on a particular topic. So, whether you want to ask for help, show off your latest project or just ask people how they are, Discord is the place to do so!
Discord is free, although you can upgrade your own profile for extra features if you want to.
We previously used Slack for this purpose. The 2023 migration to Discord was discussed in a number of members meetings, but the main reason for doing it was due to Slack's 3 month message expiry.
- Join the Discord server at the following link https://discord.gg/zx8Dc6Y32E - if you don't already have a Discord account, it'll ask you to sign up for one. If you have already made an account, you can use this link to join the server.
- Link HMS account to access all channels (when linked there will be many including for various teams):
- Login to HMS https://hms.nottinghack.org.uk
- Click on your username towards the upper right.
- Click Update Details.
- Click Edit towards the bottom of the page
- Fill in your Discord username - this can be in either username#discriminator or just username format. An easy way to ensure you've got the username correct is to use the Copy User ID button from your user menu in Discord, as shown in the figure to the right.
- Click Update.
- if you need to change your display name, click 'show member list', scroll down until you find yourself, right click and pick 'Edit Server Profile' and change your Server Nickname.
Once your profile is saved, you will receive a message on Discord from Nottinghack Bot. This is just to let you know that your account has been linked. You should also notice channels appearing on the left side bar. If you don't, verify that your username is correct in HMS. You can also try clearing the discord username field, saving the page, then setting it again. If it still doesn't work, post in the public channel.
You may wish to add a server nickname that is more identifiable to other members. This can be done under the 'Server Profiles' tab: https://support.discord.com/hc/en-us/articles/219070107-Server-Nicknames#h_01H4RRB3ZD1HD8R7YF2MKS4N16
Please see the Discord policy on our rules site.
We have a discord bot which accepts a few commands. They can be used anywhere but we recommend #bot-spam unless the output is relevant to the conversation.
- - !temp - gives temperature readings from around the hackspace
- - !humidity - gives humidity readings from around the hackspace
- - !tools - shows you tool booking status and availability
- - !status - shows the status of various instrumentation within the hackspace
- - !battery - shows battery voltages for the WirelessThings sensors
- - !wiki <term> - searches the wiki for a particular phrase