2014-05-22 AGM Agenda/Special Resolution: 2.5
It is proposed that we change section 2.5 of the Constitution to:
2.5.1 Trustee positions become vacant when trustees either reach the end of their term of office or decide to stand down part way through their term.
2.5.2 A trustee wishing to stand down part way through their term must give one and a half months notice, to allow for the election of a replacement.
2.5.3 A replacement trustee takes up only the remainder of the retiring trustees term.
2.5.4 Normal Elections for vacant trustee positions must happen around the time of the AGM, and no later than 2 weeks after the AGM.
2.5.5 Elections for vacant trustee positions as a result of a trustee standing down part way through their term must happen around the end of a trustee's notice period, and no later than 2 weeks after.
2.5.6 Trustees at the end their of term remain on the board until the successful completion of elections.
2.5.7 Any member can nominate themselves to stand for election by giving notice to the community during the nomination window.
2.5.8 The nomination windows will normally begin 1 month prior to the elections and end 7 days before elections begin.
2.5.9 Elections shall be conducted using electronic means. These must be secure and fair
2.5.10 The board shall invite offers for a member to act as Returning Officer. This member must be agreed by six trustees and cannot stand for election
2.5.11 The Returning Officer shall provide a means for offline voting.
2.5.12 Elections will use Single Transferable Vote
2.5.13 Members may abstain from voting
2.5.14 In the event of a tie, a new election will take place immediately amongst the tied candidates. Voting must happen within a 7 day window.
2.5.15 If one of the tied candidates decides to withdraw, and the remaining candidate has passed the winning threshold a new election will not be required.
Summary of Changes
- Original terms 2.5.5 - 2.5.11 are unchanged, but renumbered to 2.5.9 - 2.5.15
- 2.5.1 has had the decision terms removed.
- 2.5.2 has been added to instigate a notice period for trustees standing down part way through their term of office
- 2.5.3 has been added to ensure that any replacement trustees fall in line with the normal election schedules
- 2.5.4 comes form 2.5.2 but changed to allow elections to happen after the AGM
- 2.5.5 clarifies the election process for trustees who stand down part way through their term of office
- 2.5.6 ensures that we still have trustees if elections fail for some reason (i.e. an AGM doesn't reach quorum)
- 2.5.7 is a renumbered 2.5.3
- 2.5.8 is a renumbered 2.5.4