There are maintenance tasks involved in running Nottinghack Wiki. Most of these tasks can be done by any user.
Things to watch
These are automatically updated reports and lists that we need to keep an eye on.
- Recent changes and New pages -– Look out for bad edits or redundancy with existing articles
- List of stub pages -- These pages need more information.
- List of pages that need a clean up -- These pages don't have the quality we want and need improvement.
- Broken redirects and Double redirects -- These pages list redirects that need updating.
- Lonely pages -- This is a list of isolated pages with no wikilinks to them. Make sure they are linked to from relevant places.
- Long pages -- In some cases these pages should be split up for editing.
- Protected pages -- Check whether these pages really need protection.
- Short pages -- Perhaps these should be marked as stubs.
- Uncategorized pages and templates -- Adding pages to categories makes the wiki easier to navigate.
- Uncategorized categories -- It is good practice to organise categories in a hierarchy.
- Unused categories, files (images) and templates -- Perhaps these can be proposed for deletion.
- Dead-end pages -- These pages do not link to any other pages in the wiki, which might be bad for navigation.
You can welcome new wiki users by writing a message on their talk page (to reach this talk page, click on the new user's name, then click on the 'Discussion' tab and click 'Add topic'). We usually encourage new users to write a user page to introduce themselves.
Most users cannot delete a page, but they can mark a page for deletion. Administrators can delete a page (along with all of that page's history - called salting). If deleting a page may be controversial to is best to solicit debate on the issue first.