Difference between revisions of "Darth Vader Casting"

From Nottinghack Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
(Created page with "{{Project |image=File:Darth Vader Cast 7.jpg |name= |primary= |created=26/06/2019 |completeddate=26/06/2019 |dormantdate= |version= |members=Eugene, User:Danspencer101|Dansp...")
 
Line 13: Line 13:
 
|qrmode=1
 
|qrmode=1
 
}}
 
}}
 +
Using the pewter casting equipment in the [[Metalworking Downstairs|downstairs metalworking]] area, Eugene and I cast a couple of Darth Vader heads into an MDF mould that we cut on the [[Superbox CNC Router]].
 +
 +
==Design==
 +
The mould design was taken from a design made by Timothy Zorn on [https://grabcad.com/library/vader-mold-v3-1 GrabCAD]. I think it was designed with 3D printing in mind because there were some very sharp corners on the model that can't be machined with milling cutters. None the less, we used it anyway! We made a couple of modifications to the model:
 +
*We scaled the depth down in z by about 40% so that it would be millable with the short small diameter cutters I had.
 +
*We moved the sprue to the opposite side of the mould
 +
*We added some air venting to the mould
 +
 +
{| style="width: 700px;"
 +
! <gallery mode=slideshow>
 +
File:1 Vader die cavity.PNG|Original Die Cavity
 +
File:2 Vader die cavity.PNG|Modified Die Cavity
 +
</gallery>
 +
|}
 +
 +
==Manufacture==
 +
The mould was cut into MDF using a 3.175mm tool and a 1.5mm ball nose tool on the [[Superbox CNC Router]].
 +
 +
After the mould was finished, it was trimmed out of the stock using a band saw and the cavity surfaces were brushed with a small amount of graphite taken from a pencil.
 +
<gallery mode=packed-hover heights=500px>
 +
File:Darth Vader Cast 1.jpg
 +
File:Darth Vader Cast 2.jpg
 +
</gallery>

Revision as of 23:47, 28 June 2019

Darth Vader Casting
Darth Vader Cast 7.jpg
Primary Contact
Created 26/06/2019
Completed 26/06/2019
Dormant
Version
Members Eugene, Danspencer101
Manufacturer {{{manufacturer}}}
Model {{{model}}}
Location [[{{{location}}}]]
Status Complete
Type Members Project
Live Status
QR code

Using the pewter casting equipment in the downstairs metalworking area, Eugene and I cast a couple of Darth Vader heads into an MDF mould that we cut on the Superbox CNC Router.

Design

The mould design was taken from a design made by Timothy Zorn on GrabCAD. I think it was designed with 3D printing in mind because there were some very sharp corners on the model that can't be machined with milling cutters. None the less, we used it anyway! We made a couple of modifications to the model:

  • We scaled the depth down in z by about 40% so that it would be millable with the short small diameter cutters I had.
  • We moved the sprue to the opposite side of the mould
  • We added some air venting to the mould

Manufacture

The mould was cut into MDF using a 3.175mm tool and a 1.5mm ball nose tool on the Superbox CNC Router.

After the mould was finished, it was trimmed out of the stock using a band saw and the cavity surfaces were brushed with a small amount of graphite taken from a pencil.