Antique Banjolele Restoration

From Nottinghack Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Antique Banjolele Restoration
[[{{{image}}}|border|frameless|220px|center]]
Primary Contact Michael Erskine
Created 18/07/2013
Completed {{{completeddate}}}
Dormant {{{dormantdate}}}
Version {{{version}}}
Members {{{members}}}
Manufacturer {{{manufacturer}}}
Model {{{model}}}
Location [[{{{location}}}]]
Status {{{status}}}
Type Members Project
Live Status {{{livestatus}}}
QR code

Another luthier project: antique banjolele restoration

I was blessed to be given this antique banjolele to restore. Many thanks to Lionel and his long departed uncle "AB" -- I will try my best to make this beautiful instrument sing again!

Identified!

We have found an almost identical http://theukuleleblog.blogspot.co.uk/2010/07/unknown-banjo-ukulele.html

Back Repair

I used a heat gun and sharp blade to release the remaining old hide glue holding the back in place. For a quick fix of the crack I just filled it with glue. If I had more time to spend on it I would be tempted to make an invisible repair but I can always go back to that later if required. After some cleanup and sanding I simply glued it back into place with modern wood glue.

Bridge

I hand carved a bridge from a small piece of mystery hardwood that has the right colouration at least!

Strings

We are looking for a soprano set (13" scale length) of quality strings e.g. Aquila brand...

http://www.musicroom.com/se/id_no/0706267/details.html

OK, I have now purchased a set and I'm looking forward to stringing it up!