Version 1 NH Antweight Rules
- The robot should weigh no more than 150g
- If it weighs a bit more than 150g, then that's probably fine as long as you're not obviously cheating
- There is no limit on the robot's dimensions (the 4" cube rule is not enforced)
- If you are obviously trying to gain an advantage purely by making the robot gigantic, then you will need to be less obvious
Note: if you want to participate at other events around the UK, be aware that enforcement of the 4" cube varies a lot
- All fights will take place without an enclosure
- The following weapons are therefore not allowed:
- Flywheels or other kinetic energy spinning weapons
- Circular saws or drills
- High-energy springs
This is not an exhaustive list and the marshal will review the safety of every robot during tech checks.
Recommended parts and build instructions
There are some great guides to building on the Bristol Bot Builders site, and they also sell antweight robot parts, including a complete antweight kit - this does require a suitable transmitter, or a paired transmitter/receiver though!
Most of the parts and materials you need can be obtained from RC hobby shops, eBay and so on as well, although there is a dearth of tiny lipo batteries suitable for antweights. A couple of decent options are:
For general advice there is some great information on the FRA and RW101 forums - these are not very active these days though, so if you have a specific question you may not get an answer for a few days/months/years. There's also a new BBB forum, which has less of an archive of information but is more active so there's more chance of getting a response to a post there.
There are some useful groups on Facebook, and this is probably a better bet if no one on the Slack channel can help:
- Combat Robotics - good general group
- Antweight Combat Robots - be warned that in the US antweights are confusingly 440g not 150g, and 150g robots are called fairyweights. It's all very confusing.
- Bristol Bot Builders again
Inaugural Event - 30th of April 2022!
|Sam Roberts||Twisted Lifter|
|Sam Roberts||Chewdas Priest|
|Becky Dowson||Thwack Sabbath|
|Simon Lindsay||Alice Scooper|
|Steve Barnett||Cheese Dreams|
|Steve Barnett||Time For Crab!|
Workshop Event 23rd July 2022
Read all about the workshop event here. This well-attended event was won by Mr Confusion.