From Nottinghack Wiki
|Primary Contact|| Michael Erskine
HDPE block stock can be made from recycled plastic milk bottles (recycle code 4) melted in a domestic oven at around 230 degrees C.
- wikipedia http://www.bpf.co.uk/plastipedia/polymers/HDPE.aspx
- plastipedia http://www.bpf.co.uk/plastipedia/polymers/HDPE.aspx
I have tried a few processes with variable success: -
- initial tests using the Hackspace reflow toaster oven at 220-230 C
- some fun with (cheap?) silicone cookware that breaks down at cooking temperatures!
- slight fumes but not unpleasant or dangerous - appropriate ventilation employed
Further tests at home in domestic oven: -
- cleaner process - using baking tray and baking parchment
- pressing into a plywood mould to make "slugs" for milling