EMF Camp 2016
|Date||August 5th-7th, 2016|
|Location||Loseley Park, Guildford, Surrey, UK map|
|Official EMF org links||Offical Website; General EMF mailing list; facebook|
|Availability||There will be 1500 tickets available. Demand looks to be high, so get your ticket early if you don't want to be dissapointed. Also there are likely to be early bird deals if you do that.|
Last year many of the attendees from Nottinghack each put in some money (around £20 each) to have cooked meals provided for the setup and the entire weekend. Sophie has kindly volunteered to to do this again for EMF 2016, the cost has not been decided yet and may be slightly more than last year to buy some better quality ingredients but if you're interested please mark the Food column with Yes so we can get an idea of how many to cater for.
|Name||Ticket Bought||Transport||Food||Going On||Returning On|
|Paul Meynell||Yes||Car||Yes meaty||-||-|
|Mick Vaites||Yes||Car||Yes meaty||-||-|
|'RepRap' Matt||Yes||Train||Yes Please||Way early||Way Late|
|Joe||Yes||Will need a lift||Yes||-||-|
|Kirsty L||Yes||As for Alex W||Yes||-||-|
|Michael E||Yes||with Vicki||No||Thu||Mon|
|David Hayward||Yes||I have a lift||No||Thu||Sun/Mon|
|James Hodgson||Yes||Car||Yes Please||Fri||Mon|
|David Hopkins||Yes||Passenger in James Hodgson's Car||Yes Please||-||-|
|Martin Farraway||Yes||Passenger in James H Car||Yes Please||-||-|
|Matt Little||Yes||No||Yes Please. Veggie please.||-||-|
|Dominic Morrow||Yes||UNKNOWN||Yes Please. Bloody Meat.||-||-|
|Gill "Ddiasco" Z||Yes||UNKNOWN||Yes Please. Wild Animals.||-||-|
|Froggy||Yes||None, need a lift||Yes. Soylent green preferred||Fri||Mon|
|James F||Yes||Passenger in Ian D car||Yes please||Thu||Mon|
|Michelle S||Yes||Passenger in Ian D car||Yes please||Thu||Mon|
|Spencer||Yes||Car||Yes meaty please.||-||-|
|Iain Sharp||Yes||Camper||Yes plese||-||-|
|James B||Yes||TBC||Yes - of the meaty variety||Fri||Sun|
|Rob Miles||Yes||Train||too late? But veggie if not||Thu night or Fri morn||Mon|
|Florian||Yes||looking for a lift||Yes if not too late||-||-|
|Pierre||Yes||looking for a lift||Yes if not too late||-||-|
|Jason||Yes||looking for a lift||too late for that||Fri Eve||N/A|
This is a list of vehicles traveling to EMF 2016, please update as necessary including any room you have for passengers and stuff.
|Vehicle||Driver||Going On||Returning On||Passenger Spaces||Room for Stuff?||Passengers|
|Car||James H||THU||MON||Barbot, Firepit||Martin Farraway|
|Car||Mouse||THU||MON||TBA||No||No room, sorry|
|Car||Jake||WEDS(Or earlier)||SUN||0(taking orga stuff)||A little||Hannah|
|Car||Ian D||THU||MON||Taken||No||James & Michelle|
|Car||James Hodgson||FRI||MON||David Hopkins|
|Car||Alex W||THUR||MON||up to 3||possibly||TBA|
|Car||Andrew Armstrong||THUR||MON||3 more||Yes depending on people||Andrew|
|Car||Vicki||Thurs||Mon||Taken||Nope||Vicki & Michael E|
|Camper||Toby||Thurs||Mon||1||Small amount of baggage room, but mostly full of Mystery Machine||Toby and David Hayward|
This is a rough list of (shared) stuff we'll be taking to EMF and will need to find space for in vehicles. There may be space for camping equipment for anyone not traveling by car.
|7x bags of firewood for firepit (the size of an ALDI bag for life)||Rob H||Car - Rob H|
|5x bags of charcoal||Rob H|
|Bar bot||Car - James H|
|Booze (for barbot)||Rob H|
|Light fittings||Rob H||Car - Daniel (2x small-ish LED lights)|
|Gas BBQ & Propane Cylinder||Rob H||Car - Rob H|
|Food||Soph||Soph (locally once on site)|
|iZettle & Kindle Fire||Rob H||Car - Rob H|
|Small Fridge||Rob H||Car - Rob H|
|Extension leads||Rob H||Car - Rob H, Daniel (1x extension reel, bag of 6-ways)|
|Fire pit||James H|
|Rolling Water Barrell||James H|
|Cooking stuff (pots, pans, sharp knives, chopping boards)||Soph||Soph|
|Banquet roll (paper table cloth)||Rob H|
|Eating stuff (plates)|
|Bluetooth speaker||Car - Daniel|
|Network switch+cable||Car - Daniel|
What to Bring
Here are some idea on what to bring with you.
|Decent quality long extension lead||If you want power to your tent|
|4-way extension lead or similar||Plugs will be limited, bring to ensure you have enough for your devices|
|Teacup||Having your own teacup you can re-use will help us out|
|Medication||Bring your own pain killers/hangover cures, we do not supply this! First aiders will be on site.|
|Camping Chairs||Chairs have been ordered for village use, bring your own to guarantee a place to sit and for your own tent.|
|Long Ethernet cable||If you want ethernet in your tent|
|Micro USB cables||The EMF badge charges via a micro USB cable and you'll probably want a spare for your phone/kindle/tablet etc.|
|Torch||It gets dark at night|
|Rubber Mallet||To help put up your own tent and others|
|Drinks||There is a bar but you might want to bring spirits or other drinks for yourself.|
|Snacks||To keep your going between meals|
|Toiletries||Stuff to wash with, towels, toothbrush etc.|
|Raincoat and Wellies||It will probably rain at some point and it's in a field|
|Sun Cream||There might be sun at some point and you'll be outdoors|
|Bug Spray||It's near water and some people have tasty blood|
|Jumpers, Jacket and Hoodies||It will be cold at night and you'll be outdoors|
- Lots of conversation on Slack
For the village this year we are hiring marquees via EMF
- 6x3 m for projects, Barbot, mobile snackspace etc (open to the public and likely facing onto a trackway)
- 6x3 m for food (member only)
- 8 tables
- 20 chairs
We we also be hosting the usual fire pit circle
If you're planning to do a project to take to EMF 2016 and might want to collaborate with others or group together for transport etc, please consider adding a page to this section.
- BarBot - Mouse is looking for volunteers to run BarBot. It's a lot of work, but a lot of fun too. We need at least three people during the event and one coordinator/planner pre- and during the event. Unpaid, but maybe you get a T-shirt. Contact Mouse if you'd like to be involved.
- Pedal Powered Bad Movie Night, if Doc little is interested in setting it up!
- Giant knitting, as per The Manly Art of Knitting
- Fire installations (propane puffers and such) are welcome, although all fire stuff must be raised off the ground to avoid turf damage.
- Vehicles (art cars and such) are still be be decided by EMF org. Maybe in a separated are away from general camping.
Transport (obsolete section removed - using cars!)
Link to interesting things
- Fire puffers design
- push the tempo - this would've been both hilarious and injurious - too much risk!
- bench car
Misc other ideas
- Everyone wearing giant heads with J face.
Thoughts and Ideas for EMF2018
Please put any ideas and thoughts for 2018 here! We'll move them to the new page whenever it gets created.
- MORE NOTTINGHACK FLAGS AND STUFF
- Bring more bottle openers
- If we keep doing big stuff like snackspace and barbot, may as well just hire a 6x6 tent to have both inside, away from our village kit.
- Also extra room for storage too.
- Expanded range; crisps, energy bars, non-fizzy drinks, fruit
- Overall worked really well
- Better signage
- Ensure whatever card payment method we use has its own dedicated gps (to avoid thinking we're in Holland because of the wifi)
- Cheap/unused android phone as a dedicated device? Frees up the Fire even more then.
- 2x boxes of cola bottles sold out fast - recommend 3 at least
- Dedicated fridge for drinks was v successful
- Hand sanitizer - lots
- People fucking love some robo-cocktails
- Better signage - pre-print and laminate some signs with instructions / address at the hackspace
- HS2.5 Badge rewards for donating worked really well
- Make sure Kindle Fire is charged!
- Grenadine gets everywhere
- Background music on final day worked well
- Enough lighting to avoid having to use fluorescent lights (fairy lights were good)
- Cheap RGB strips? Could even wire them up to respond to music
- Grenadine syringe refill is tedious - "there has to be a better way!" - need to look into this
- better dasher refill technique needed - there's a hole in the top of each bottle so let's use it!
- umbrella in every drink - it's the final flourish and the disappointment of the users was evident - could require a wider hi-ball glass or more adjustable brolly dropper
- cherry conveyor was rarely working - way sticky - needs a teardown and clean and the cherries need rinsing before adding
- Also something to make the belt a bit grippier - little cocktail stick sections glued on the outside?
- also the ability to load more cherries (and other consumables) from behind barbot would have a better effect
- our working layout was spoiling the automation wonder effect - having a human slave carry a glass to the far end of the track - being able to add a glass from the other end and preferably from behind barbot would be better.
- For 2014 we had the optics end against one tent wall and the 'loading' end free - this is probably the optimal layout for now (unless we change how stuff is loaded)
- Can umbrella dispenser be hinged? Can be flipped up to load from behind and dropped for dispensing then
- losing track of the hi-ball glass riser kinda sucked with the flow of operating
- we discovered both kinds of glass could hold the same amount - maybe just rock it with cocktail glasses?
- more human slaves required - this is a good money spinner and worth more members available to serve is better
- one of the mixer taps needs repair and some of the MDF is starting to swell from moisture!
- some sort of status screen might be good?
- Taking the number screen again would be great
- have field on web interface to give a name when ordering - would be so much easier to locate who had what number!