Difference between revisions of "WikiCleanup"

From Nottinghack Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
(Upcoming)
(portable mitre saw page still missing)
 
(29 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
{{draft}}
 
{{draft}}
:{{Note|''We meet on the [[WikiCleanup#Wiki meetups|second Wednesday of each month]] to work on the wiki, progress the cleanup project and help members interested in contributing. Meeting starts at 6pm in the [[Blue Room]].''}}
+
:{{Note|''We meet on the [[WikiCleanup#Wiki meetups|second Wednesday of most months]] to work on the wiki, progress the cleanup project and help members interested in contributing. Meeting starts at 6pm in the [[Blue Room]].''}}
  
 
{{Project
 
{{Project
Line 32: Line 32:
 
Priorities listed by topic - {{todo}} tag priority level (high {{high}}, med {{med}}, low {{low}}).
 
Priorities listed by topic - {{todo}} tag priority level (high {{high}}, med {{med}}, low {{low}}).
  
=== Deletion ===
+
===Bugs===
*The wiki is seven years old and has a lot of pages that haven't been updated in years. Pages that genuinely aren't required can be tagged with: <code><nowiki>{{delete|date=DD/MM/YYYY|reason=Cruft}}</nowiki></code>
+
* Several people reported being unable to log in on the Google Group (SLA pledge pages and mentioned on Slack) {{high}}
::Please also include a reason which can then be discussed before wiki admin deletes.
 
::Most pages that contain historic pages can be de-categorized and tagged with [[Template:archive]]
 
  
 
===Page content and maintenance===
 
===Page content and maintenance===
Line 41: Line 39:
 
;Hackspace Information
 
;Hackspace Information
 
* [[:Category:Location|Location pages]] -As part of a wider documentation project in the hackspace we should create a page for each area of the space, and keep all relevant information on the wiki for members and guests to view. {{high}}
 
* [[:Category:Location|Location pages]] -As part of a wider documentation project in the hackspace we should create a page for each area of the space, and keep all relevant information on the wiki for members and guests to view. {{high}}
* Page about screen printing area
+
* Some [[Workshop]] and [[Dusty Area]] tools need pages including the Axminster Bandsaw and a 'portable' Mitre saw (as you walk in its on the far side)
* Some [[Dusty Area]] tools need pages and the Axminster Bandsaw.
+
There's also manual ones under one of the work benches in the non dusty area (AKA workshop)
 
* Page for oscilloscopes we have, as purchased from pledges [[Electronics Test Kit Pledge]] and [[Oscilloscope Pledge]]
 
* Page for oscilloscopes we have, as purchased from pledges [[Electronics Test Kit Pledge]] and [[Oscilloscope Pledge]]
 
* Page for badge maker, from [[Badgemaker pledge]]
 
* Page for badge maker, from [[Badgemaker pledge]]
 
* Page for tool acquired from [[Strip Heater Pledge]]
 
* Page for tool acquired from [[Strip Heater Pledge]]
 +
* Page for [[Lift]] and access for those that can't use stairs, also more information about access from street, more info [https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/nottinghack/LpK6efp72gA Google group thread] {{high}} - started using page [[Access to the space]]
 +
* Pages for paper creaser and book binder new donations.
  
 
====Pages to update====
 
====Pages to update====
 
* Update [[Hackspace 2.5]]  
 
* Update [[Hackspace 2.5]]  
 
* [[Tools/We Have]] - list needs tidy and update - maybe have separate pages for each cat of tool? {{med}}
 
* [[Tools/We Have]] - list needs tidy and update - maybe have separate pages for each cat of tool? {{med}}
* [[Promotional materials]] --{{done|date=May 2019}}
 
 
* [[Members list]] - redesign table for open ended blog and social media pages - add options to member template
 
* [[Members list]] - redesign table for open ended blog and social media pages - add options to member template
 +
* [[HMS]] - update or make new page for HMS 2 {{med}}
 +
* Expand [[Screen Printing Area]]
  
 
====Link to flickr albums====
 
====Link to flickr albums====
Line 58: Line 59:
 
===Page types and boiler plates===
 
===Page types and boiler plates===
 
{{also|User:Mikehaber/Document structure - pattern draft}}
 
{{also|User:Mikehaber/Document structure - pattern draft}}
* Tools
+
* Tools {{high}} - Wiki team was about making page for Viking Loom
 
* Projects
 
* Projects
 
* New editor welcome
 
* New editor welcome
Line 68: Line 69:
 
::92 Projects are using it as of 16/05/2019
 
::92 Projects are using it as of 16/05/2019
 
::Close out old projects by marking them as Complete or Dormant
 
::Close out old projects by marking them as Complete or Dormant
 
====About Pages====
 
*Replaced by [[Template:Overview]] {{done|date=May 2019}}
 
  
 
====Location pages====
 
====Location pages====
* Each [[:category:location|location]] ie, room, area and storage place could have a page. This in turn could link to pages of what is in that area and vice-versa.
+
* Page for all areas downstairs
 +
* CNC corridor is now more of an Electronics area, change location map graphic to reflect this
  
 
====Rule pages====
 
====Rule pages====
Line 80: Line 79:
 
====Tool pages====
 
====Tool pages====
 
* It would be good if members with a particular expertise can add info about tools to wiki. Bob Wood maybe able to help with woodworking tools. Could shout out the google group.
 
* It would be good if members with a particular expertise can add info about tools to wiki. Bob Wood maybe able to help with woodworking tools. Could shout out the google group.
 
===Front page===
 
 
* [[User:Jon/Front_page_options|Four front page options]]
 
[[File:Wiki comakingspace.de MainPage links table.PNG|thumbnail|A nice table taken from the front page of CoMakingspace Hackspace wiki in Germany]]
 
====Features to Consider====
 
*Convert 'list boxes' into template - box style created but not as template
 
*Tidy alignment.
 
*Highlight featured pages.
 
*Make it easier to find task like tidying/ cleaning
 
*Make it clear how to contribute to the wiki
 
*No list to members guide
 
*New Members - link to members guide - wiki is second place to look for more detail
 
*Random content from :[[:Category:Featured]] ?
 
 
*Move [[User:Danspencer101/Mainpage_sandbox|sandbox draft]] to [[NottingHack|mainpage]] {{high}}
 
*Change the sidebar links so that they link to Pages [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:Featured_content (Or Portals like this?)], Not categories {{med}}
 
 
{{done|date=May 2019}}
 
  
 
{{clear}}
 
{{clear}}
Line 104: Line 84:
 
===Physical link to space===
 
===Physical link to space===
 
* Add QR code stickers/tags in space that link to relevant wiki page
 
* Add QR code stickers/tags in space that link to relevant wiki page
 +
** QR code link on left-hand column needs testing - to ensure it links to right page.
  
 
===Encourage participation in Wiki===
 
===Encourage participation in Wiki===
Line 138: Line 119:
 
===Categories===
 
===Categories===
  
* Sort out :[[:Category:Featured]] {{done|date=April 2019}}
+
====Tools and equipment====
 +
All the Textile Workshop tool need re-categorising as Tools and Equipment in Craft Room (by change location in Tools infobox)
  
 
====Categorise all uncategorised pages====
 
====Categorise all uncategorised pages====
Line 152: Line 134:
 
====Inter linking pages====
 
====Inter linking pages====
 
* Categories should help readers discover pages by subject. Another way to aid discovery is to link from other relevant pages. See [[Special:WhatLinksHere]] in the left hand column. If no other page link to the page can be another reason for readers not finding it.
 
* Categories should help readers discover pages by subject. Another way to aid discovery is to link from other relevant pages. See [[Special:WhatLinksHere]] in the left hand column. If no other page link to the page can be another reason for readers not finding it.
 
====Temporal====
 
*Move old drives and events to  [[:Category:Pledge Drives (past)]]  and [[:Category:Events (past)]] {{done|date=May 2019}}
 
  
 
===Archiving===
 
===Archiving===
Line 175: Line 154:
 
* [[mediawikiwiki:Extension:VisualEditor|WYSIWYG]] editing
 
* [[mediawikiwiki:Extension:VisualEditor|WYSIWYG]] editing
 
* Ignore caps on wikilinks (for example, using [[:Category:Utility templates]] would still link to [[:Category:Utility Templates]])
 
* Ignore caps on wikilinks (for example, using [[:Category:Utility templates]] would still link to [[:Category:Utility Templates]])
* Something to display the number of page views  
+
* Something to display the number of page views
 +
* Extension:InputBox - for easy new page creation [https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Starting_a_new_page#Using_article_creation_template code]
  
 
====Mobile phones====
 
====Mobile phones====
Line 181: Line 161:
  
 
===Templates===
 
===Templates===
* Infobox for [[Template:Software|Software]]
 
 
* Infobox for [[Template:Event|Events]]
 
* Infobox for [[Template:Event|Events]]
 
* Infobox for Network locations
 
* Infobox for Network locations
Line 194: Line 173:
 
===Tidy Pages===
 
===Tidy Pages===
 
* Fix [[Special:DoubleRedirects]] ~30
 
* Fix [[Special:DoubleRedirects]] ~30
 +
 +
===Graphics===
 +
Icons needed to replace 'H's in lower three boxes on frontpage [[NottingHack]], and one for [[Template:Archive]].
  
 
==Wiki meetups==
 
==Wiki meetups==
 
===Upcoming===
 
===Upcoming===
* [[2019-05-08 Wiki meetup]] - Move past events and pledges to (past) categories.  Archive and cross out any rule pages left. Work on integrating the Rules and Guide (on Github) with wiki.
+
* 2019-08-14 Wiki meetup - Meeting probably not happening due to wiki 'team' not being able to make it.
* 2019-06-12 Wiki meetup - Make template for new users of the wiki. Take photos of the areas and equipment that require it, see [[:Category:Pages requiring photo]]. Label things that requiring it. CSS for [[Power]] colour tables and frontpage list styles. Add new [[Hackspace 2.5|downstairs]] room locations. Mini-maps for locations with lots of equipment/sub-locations?
+
* 2019-09-11 Wiki meetup - Make template for new users of the wiki. Take photos of the areas and equipment that require it, see [[:Category:Pages requiring photo]]. Label things that requiring it. CSS for [[Power]] colour tables and frontpage list styles. Work on integrating the Rules and Guide (on Github) with wiki (have any changes been pulled in). Mini-maps for locations with lots of equipment/sub-locations? Update recycling process information - get accurate info on how it works.
* 2019-07-10 Wiki meetup - ?
 
* 2019-08-14 Wiki meetup - ?
 
* 2019-09-11 Wiki meetup - ?
 
 
* 2019-10-09 Wiki meetup - ?
 
* 2019-10-09 Wiki meetup - ?
  
Line 208: Line 187:
 
* [[2019-03-13 Wiki meetup]] - Process pages tagged to Delete, Nip round space for required photos: [[:Category:Pages requiring photo]]
 
* [[2019-03-13 Wiki meetup]] - Process pages tagged to Delete, Nip round space for required photos: [[:Category:Pages requiring photo]]
 
* [[2019-04-10 Wiki meetup]] - Wiki frontpage progress. Photos of the areas and equipment that require it.
 
* [[2019-04-10 Wiki meetup]] - Wiki frontpage progress. Photos of the areas and equipment that require it.
 +
* [[2019-05-08 Wiki meetup]] - Move past events and pledges to (past) categories.  Archive and cross out any rule pages left.
 +
* [[2019-06-12 Wiki meetup]] - Added new [[Hackspace 2.5|downstairs]] room locations.
 +
* 2019-07-10 Wiki meetup - Tinkered with [[Template:Hack]] so it can link to Guide/Rule page and/or HMS page. Deprecated 'members' parameter on [[Template:Team]] (now held on HMS).
 +
  
 
==Done==
 
==Done==
 
* [[/done April 2019]]
 
* [[/done April 2019]]
 +
* [[/done June 2019]]
  
 
==See also==
 
==See also==
Line 226: Line 210:
 
* [https://github.com/NottingHack/website/blob/andromeda/public_wiki/LocalSettings.php Nottinghack Wiki settings (Github)]
 
* [https://github.com/NottingHack/website/blob/andromeda/public_wiki/LocalSettings.php Nottinghack Wiki settings (Github)]
 
* [https://wiki.nottinghack.org.uk/api.php Nottinghack Wiki API]
 
* [https://wiki.nottinghack.org.uk/api.php Nottinghack Wiki API]
 +
  
 
[[Category:ToDo]]
 
[[Category:ToDo]]
 
[[Category:Website]]
 
[[Category:Website]]
 
[[Category:Nottinghack Wiki]]
 
[[Category:Nottinghack Wiki]]

Latest revision as of 13:29, 14 October 2019

Note Note: We meet on the second Wednesday of most months to work on the wiki, progress the cleanup project and help members interested in contributing. Meeting starts at 6pm in the Blue Room.
WikiCleanup
Hackwiki.svg
Primary Contact
Created 03/11/2017‎
Completed
Dormant
Version
Members Various
Manufacturer {{{manufacturer}}}
Model {{{model}}}
Location [[{{{location}}}]]
Status In Progress
Type Hackspace Infrastructure
Live Status
QR code

This wiki has been in place since at least 2012, and many pages have not been updated in years. There are pages for tools we no longer have, outdated pages on tools we do have, and a lack of information on newer tools and on our teams and how the space works. The plan is to bring this wiki back up to date, and make it a better resource our members find useful and interesting.

Its worth mentioning that our wiki is probably one of the better ones, when compared with other Hackspaces in the UK.

How to help

You can help by simply picking any page at all and updating it! Be Bold with your changes, nothing is lost when the wiki is edited; We can always revert back.

Every wiki page has a discussion page (see tab at top left of page). For general wiki discussion or to request help there is the #wiki channel on Slack.

Priority List

Priorities listed by topic -  To do  tag priority level (high  , med  , low  ).

Bugs

  • Several people reported being unable to log in on the Google Group (SLA pledge pages and mentioned on Slack)  

Page content and maintenance

Missing pages

Hackspace Information
  • Location pages -As part of a wider documentation project in the hackspace we should create a page for each area of the space, and keep all relevant information on the wiki for members and guests to view.  
  • Some Workshop and Dusty Area tools need pages including the Axminster Bandsaw and a 'portable' Mitre saw (as you walk in its on the far side)

There's also manual ones under one of the work benches in the non dusty area (AKA workshop)

Pages to update

Link to flickr albums

Page types and boiler plates

  • Tools   - Wiki team was about making page for Viking Loom
  • Projects
  • New editor welcome

Project Pages

  • Reorganisation of project pages;
Maybe have separate subcategories for projects that of large 'Projects (by team)' and ones that are more or less solo 'Projects (by member).
92 Projects are using it as of 16/05/2019
Close out old projects by marking them as Complete or Dormant

Location pages

  • Page for all areas downstairs
  • CNC corridor is now more of an Electronics area, change location map graphic to reflect this

Rule pages

  • Tag top of page with {{RuleArchived}} and content with striked text <s> and {{grey-start}} and {{grey-end}} style. Also, any wikilinks pointing to those rule pages should be delinked.  

Tool pages

  • It would be good if members with a particular expertise can add info about tools to wiki. Bob Wood maybe able to help with woodworking tools. Could shout out the google group.

Physical link to space

  • Add QR code stickers/tags in space that link to relevant wiki page
    • QR code link on left-hand column needs testing - to ensure it links to right page.

Encourage participation in Wiki

  • Encourage general membership to post projects.
Even just a picture is ok, big essays are not necessary :)
- how? see talkpage

Good wiki practice

Naming conventions and categories

  • Have a naming convention for categories template etc. - for example, only capitalise first letter unless proper noun. Start with category type word first, for example, 'Category:Templates emoji' rather than 'Emoji templates'.
  • Move articles that have been placed at the top of a category pages, for example Category:Rules and previously Category:Network. Move them back to article space.

Adding dates

Style

  • Decorate infoboxes' as appropriate. For example, text white on dark green used in Template:Tool.
  • List of currently coded styles - for example there is a style for the boxes on the front page (-early 2019)
  • Add fancy CSS
  • Add long-winded or frequently used styles (esp. table) to CSS
  • CSS to scale images by page percentage see example
  • Make CSS for style used in tables on power page  
  • Make CSS for style on template LinkTable and Community links

Photos

  • Photos are great! If a photo is needed, any page can be tagged with Template:Photo.
  • Also, many photos are on the flickr, unfortunately a lot don't have descriptive titles.
  • Clear Category:Pages requiring photo list. Currently 11 pages requiring photos as of 15/05/2019.

Categories

Tools and equipment

All the Textile Workshop tool need re-categorising as Tools and Equipment in Craft Room (by change location in Tools infobox)

Categorise all uncategorised pages

  • Add categories to Widget: pages  

Inter linking pages

  • Categories should help readers discover pages by subject. Another way to aid discovery is to link from other relevant pages. See Special:WhatLinksHere in the left hand column. If no other page link to the page can be another reason for readers not finding it.

Archiving

  • Archive pages with historical information
Test example of archive style Old Wood lathe using {{grey-start}}

MediaWiki extensions

Most or all extensions will have to wait until the MediaWiki software is upgraded, as per March meeting. However, preparity research can be done - find out the best extension for a particular use and what MediaWiki version it needs.

  • Better search  
    • Main search could be set to search all pages (apart from media) to make it easier to find pages in namespaces with a prefix
    • Would it be possible to search rules, guide and wiki all-in-one?
  • Wiki notifications  
    • Ping wiki users
    • Send thanks for edits
  • Semantic Wiki - data structure for pages, allows form -> infobox
  • Extension for dynamic display of Categories within a page
  • Tooltips
  • WYSIWYG editing
  • Ignore caps on wikilinks (for example, using Category:Utility templates would still link to Category:Utility Templates)
  • Something to display the number of page views
  • Extension:InputBox - for easy new page creation code

Mobile phones

Templates

Widgets

Tidy Pages

Graphics

Icons needed to replace 'H's in lower three boxes on frontpage NottingHack, and one for Template:Archive.

Wiki meetups

Upcoming

  • 2019-08-14 Wiki meetup - Meeting probably not happening due to wiki 'team' not being able to make it.
  • 2019-09-11 Wiki meetup - Make template for new users of the wiki. Take photos of the areas and equipment that require it, see Category:Pages requiring photo. Label things that requiring it. CSS for Power colour tables and frontpage list styles. Work on integrating the Rules and Guide (on Github) with wiki (have any changes been pulled in). Mini-maps for locations with lots of equipment/sub-locations? Update recycling process information - get accurate info on how it works.
  • 2019-10-09 Wiki meetup - ?

Past


Done

See also

Resources

Nottinghack wiki